Every Saturday, 8 a.m. to Noon, Rain or Shine • Click here for a map
2220 Ventura Boulevard, Old Town Camarillo • A project of Camarillo Hospice
© 2013 Camarillo Hospice Corporation, 400 Rosewood Avenue, Suite 102, Camarillo, CA • (805) 389-6870 • Visit the Camarillo Hospice website
1. Buying Locally. Buying from your local farmer allows you to support local agriculture. This means that the food you are eating comes from nearby, and doesn't require wasting lots of energy and petroleum to ship the food halfway around the world. You are eating food in your own environment, where it has perfectly-created nutrients for your specific climate and region. You are also supporting the environment by reducing the use of fossil fuels.
2. Affordable Organic Fruits & Veggies. You can find a variety of fresh, organic produce at more affordable prices than in a supermarket. There are also many farmers who carry products that are not technically “organic,” (as this is a costly and often bureaucratic-heavy process), but have many low-priced foods that are pesticide and herbicide free. The advantage at a farmers market is that you can actually talk to the farmer, learn about their methods, and then decide for yourself, and in most cases they will allow you to come and visit their farm.
3. Supporting Your Local Economy & Farmers. You are supporting human beings and the local economy, not massive agribusiness food conglomerates. Not only will your money be staying in your area, but you will happily please the farmer who worked to grow that food.
4. Eat Seasonally. By shopping at the local farmers market, you will eat seasonally, fresh and ripe. This is another great way to increase your overall health.
5. Safer Foods. Food from your local farmers market is generally safer.
6. Fresher Fruits & Veggies. The food from your local farmers market is, quite frankly, fresher. Because it was grown locally, there is a good chance that the produce you buy from the farmer was picked just yesterday. This is virtually impossible in a big supermarket.
7. Great Variety. There is usually an amazing variety of fruits and veggies at your local farmers market. Each farmer may have his or her own method for growing tomatoes or peppers. This is something that never happens at a grocery store.
8. Better Taste. There is no doubt that locally-grown foods just simply taste better. You may never be able to eat a carrot from the grocery store again!
9. It’s Healthy! There’s just no way around it, eating fresh, locally-grown fruits and veggies is great for your health.
10. Most Importantly—it’s Fun! Farmers markets are just plain fun for the whole family. Meeting your local community is an excellent way to feel connected to the world around you, increasing health for body, mind and spirit.